Connect with us

NEWS

Victorian mother who accidentally burnt down her apartment shares touching story of community spirit

Published

on


Incredible act of kindness from neighbours after a mum having a ‘bad mummy day’ BURNED her teenage daughters’ apartment down

  • Victorian woman shares how her local community helped in her time of need 
  • Mother-of-two said she accidentally burned down her daughters’ apartment 
  • More than 20 residents turned up to help clean-up the debris from the rooms
  • She said ‘words can’t express’ how grateful she is for the Harrietville community

A Victorian mother has shared the incredible story of how her tight-knit community stepped up to lend a hand after her daughters’ apartment was destroyed in a fire. 

Fiona Laird, from Harrietville at the base of Mount Hotham in the Victorian Alps, shared her story to the Facebook group ‘The Kindness Pandemic’ on Tuesday.   

‘Recently I had a bad mummy day and accidentally burnt down my teenage girls’ two-bedroom apartment’, the mother-of-two wrote. 

Victorian woman Fiona Laird has shared how her tight-knit Harrietville community lent a hand after she accidentally burnt down her daughters' two-bedroom apartment

Victorian woman Fiona Laird has shared how her tight-knit Harrietville community lent a hand after she accidentally burnt down her daughters’ two-bedroom apartment

The mother-of-two explained the fire had been sparked by an old style bar heater, which went on to cause irrevocable damage throughout the unit (pictured)

The mother-of-two explained the fire had been sparked by an old style bar heater, which went on to cause irrevocable damage throughout the unit (pictured)

Ms Laird explained the inferno had been sparked by an old style bar heater, which went on to cause irrevocable damage throughout the unit after catching fire.

The Harrietville resident posted photos of the burnt wreckage where beds, carpets, bookcases and TV cabinets are seen piled in a blackened heap. 

‘As you can imagine we are all in a state of shock, and our amazing friend Dave organised for our community to come in five days later to help clean up and rescue as much as possible’, she said. 

Pictured: Mother-of-two Fiona Laird (right)

Pictured: Mother-of-two Fiona Laird (right)

Ms Laird said more than 20 neighbours turned up help clear the rooms of debris, finishing the job in just six hours.   

‘Our community is so amazing and always step up when someone is in need’, the grateful mother said. 

‘We are still getting back treasures people have cleaned up and returned. Words cannot express how great full we are and how much we love them.’

Her post was flooded with kind messages from her fellow group members, who said they were touched by the heart-warming show of community spirit. 

‘These things happen, I’m sure its not your fault! I’m glad to hear you have such a wonderful community’, one user said. 

‘Yep that’s probably the pinnacle of a bad mummy day. I’m glad your community dug in and helped out’, another woman commented. 

‘A problem shared is a problem halved… or in this case divided by 20. Lucky you are so well-liked and live in a wonderful community’, a third shared.  

More than 20 residents from the local area turned up to help the Laird family clear the rooms of debris, finishing the job in just six hours

More than 20 residents from the local area turned up to help the Laird family clear the rooms of debris, finishing the job in just six hours

'Words cannot express how great full we are and how much we love them', Ms Laird said of her helpful neighbours

‘Words cannot express how great full we are and how much we love them’, Ms Laird said of her helpful neighbours

One woman asked if the apartment and their possessions had been insured.

‘Unfortunately we are classified as high risk so our wonderful insurance world all said no sorry’, Ms Laird replied. 

‘We’ve made peace with the issue and we will be ok, just need to save a little more.’

Other group members said it was lucky no one was hurt in the wild blaze. 

‘We are seriously grateful that it wasn’t worse – we could have lost the whole main building which would have been devastating’, Ms Laird replied. 

Advertisement

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments