The seventh edition of the Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) will be open for submissions from January 15th to March 7th, 2022. Taking into consideration the deadline, interested Nigerian students are requested to submit a 30-line poem on any topic of their choice before the deadline.
Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) 2022 [N500,000 in Cash Prizes] for Nigerian Undergraduates
Poets in Nigeria (PIN) launched the Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) to encourage literary originality and critical thinking among Nigerian undergraduates. The award has attracted over 3500 entries from students from over 100 academic institutions since its establishment in 2016 at the University of Ibadan (including universities, polytechnics, colleges of education, schools of nursing and seminary schools).
The NSPP awards has given 2 million Naira to winning entries and published 541 poems written by chosen contestants in six anthologies: The Sun Will Rise Again (2016), Mixed History (2017), Deep Dreams (2018, Micah (2019), The House That Built Me (2020), and Portrait of Water (2021).
In 2017, 2018, and 2019, tertiary schools such as the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu, and Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Yenagoa, respectively, held the NSPP Awards. The awards event took place in 2021 at the University of Ibadan, with a cash reward of N400,000 distributed among the winners.
Noah Oladele (Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife; 2016), Bakre Fadil Adedamola (University of Ibadan; 2017), Godstime Tamunofiri Iberiyenari (Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Yenagoa; 2018), Ogugua Micah Okoye (Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu; 2019), Okwubi Godwin Adah (Federal University, Lokoja; 2021) Are all previous grand prize winners of the NSPP awards.
Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) Eligibility
- Open to all Nigerian undergraduates studying in Nigeria and the diaspora.
- Entrants must be from a recognized tertiary institution.
Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) Prizes
Aside from rewarding the prize winners with a total cash prize of ₦500,000, exceptional entrants will each receive a certificate of excellence and a complimentary copy of the NSPP anthology which features their works.
- 1st Prize – ₦200,000
- 2nd Prize – ₦150,000
- 3rd Prize – ₦75,000
- Consolation Prize – ₦25,000 each for 4th, 5thand 6th best entrants
How to Submit Entries for the Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP)
- Submissions are to be made at http://nspp.poetsinnigeria.org.ng, with strict adherence to the instructions thereon.
- Entrants should write on any theme of their choice while considering its topicality.
- Entrants must give unique titles to their works.
- Indicate the theme selected beneath your work.
- Poems must be the original intellectual property of the entrants.
- An entrant is entitled to a single entry of 30 lines maximum.
- Entries submitted must be previously unpublished. A submission discovered to have defaulted on this rule will be automatically voided.
- All entrants are expected to purchase a minimum of one of the six NSPP anthologies uploaded on the submission portal.
- Under no condition will the judges’ unanimous decisions be challenged.
- Entering for the contest gives PIN the automatic right to make use of entries as deemed appropriate.
- Entries must be written in English. Native terminologies must be translated into English as footnotes.
- Entrants should subscribe to www.poetsinnigeria.org.ng for regular updates.
For inquiries, contact the moderator – Phone: +2348130900109; Email: [email protected]
Submission Deadline: 7th March 2022